- 1941, Hindenburg (Oberschlesien)
Studium / Ausbildung:
- 1961/62 Studied Physics for the first year at the University of Münster/Westfalia
- 1962-1967 Continued study at Ludwig-Maximilian-University, Munich
- 1967/68 Beginning of dissertation in the Institute of History of Science at the Ludwig-Maximilian- University, Munich: "The Development of basic concepts of Electricity, especially of Electric Current, up to 1820"
- 1972 Completed doctoral degree, Dr. rer. nat.
- 1986 Habilitation (university lecturer)
- 1967-1972 Teacher in mathematics and physics in a private Gymnasium in Munich
- 1970-1974 Researcher at the Research Institute for the History of Science and Technology at Deutsches Museum, Munich
- 1973- Since 1973 I have lectured regularly on the history of physics in the Physics Faculty at the University of Munich and occasionally in the Faculty of Education
- 1974-1986 Section leader for education at Deutsches Museum, Munich
- 1976-1995 Several research projects in didactics and history of science have been carried out in this departement since 1976 supported by: Volkswagen Foundation, Ministry of Education and Science, Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft
- 1977/78 Guest professor for half a year at the University of Hamburg
- 1981-1986 Leader of the German group of the "International project for the history of solid state physics"
- 1982 Guest professor of the University of Pavia, Italy
- 1986-1994 Director for sciences at the Deutsches Museum
- 1993/94 Guest professor and director of the Institute of history of science at the University of Göttingen - half a year
- 1993 - Professor for history of physics at Ludwig-Maximilian-University, Munich
- 1995-2006 Director for programs at the Deutsches Museum, Munich